[nSLUG] Hardware Modem suggestions

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Sep 27 15:23:29 ADT 2006

Rick Wightman wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can anyone recommend a hardware modem? There is some urgency, so
> something that I can buy if necessary is preferable.

I've been using USRobotics external modems since I started with Linux,
28.8K and 56K.

Only snag I ever hit was that I couldn't get the 56K to pulse-dial
using USR documentation.  Someone in Romania (!) replied to a usenet
post with the required incantation.  And even I have tone dial service
now.

If you're in Halifax and know which junk shops have bins of old
computer gear, you may well be able to pick up a working USR 56K for
$5 or, at most $15. Buy two at that price. :-) (It appears that many
have been retired because the users got ADSL/Cable rather than because
the modems died.)  If you're outside of the/a city and "urgency" is
the key word , the suggestions others have made about where to get USR
modems off the shelf (Staples?) is more likely your answer.

- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:451ac17c51566114317107!