[nSLUG] Hardware Modem suggestions

billdavidson at eastlink.ca billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Wed Sep 27 14:18:41 ADT 2006

Hi:

As others have pointed out, any external modem is, of course, a hardware
modem.  I have used USR's and AOpen FM56's with no problems.

As for internal modems, if you can find an old-ish ISA modem it is
probably a hardware modem, but you probably don't have any ISA slots ;)
Almost every PCI modem you can buy is a software modem, even some that
claim to be hardware modems (seems different marketers have different
ideas about what "hardware" means).

You could quickly search the web-sites of a few major modem manufacturers
for "hardware" or "Linux", but I think you'll find that externals are your
only choices.  Which is bad because they are more expensive, but good
because they work way better.

--
Bill Davidson
billdavidson at eastlink.ca