[nSLUG] Hardware Modem suggestions

Kit MacLeod ktm13 at gmx.net
Wed Sep 27 12:06:35 ADT 2006

Rick Wightman wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can anyone recommend a hardware modem? There is some urgency, so
> something that I can buy if necessary is preferable.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick Wightman

Hi, this is my first post, and I'm still fairly new to Linux, but I've
taken the Finding A Dial-Up Modem that Works journey.

I've seen US Robotics external serial modems at the local Staples store,
though they are very expensive, most distros seem to have no trouble
with them. I think most internal modems you'll
find at the big box stores are likely winmodems and troublesome to
impossible to get working.
(At least in my area this is true. Possibly different in HRM) Couldn't
find any at local computer shops either, so I got my USR Courier on Ebay
for $30ish. It's old and beat up, but it works quite well.

Winmodems are not Modems
<http://64.126.95.102:8080/gromitkc/winmodem.html> is a good reference
site, if a little outdated.

Kit