[nSLUG] Linux on Laptop and External USB Drive

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:05:37 ADT 2006

On 9/22/06, billdavidson at eastlink.ca <billdavidson at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> > You need to roll a custom initrd that includes the USB and SCSI kernel
> > modules.  It's not hard if you have ever made a custom initrd, but it
> > will be frustrating if this is your first one ever.
>
> Just to be "old school", or maybe pedantic, I have to point out that you
> don't actually need any initrd at all.  If you roll a custom kernel
> with the needed drivers compiled in instead of modules then there is no
> need for an initial ramdisk to load modules.

That will work fine if the kernel driver code is written to support
being compiled into the kernel, but at least some kernel modules only
support being built as modules.

If you're lucky, you'll find that out when your kernel fails to build.
 If you're not, you'll find out when your kernel builds OK then fails
to work.

I don't know about USB, but the 1394 (FireWire) drivers are all module-only.

Mike Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

!DSPAM:45145e32131566952086796!