[nSLUG] Linux on Laptop and External USB Drive

billdavidson at eastlink.ca billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Fri Sep 22 16:39:27 ADT 2006

Hi:

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Michael Crawford wrote:

> You need to roll a custom initrd that includes the USB and SCSI kernel
> modules.  It's not hard if you have ever made a custom initrd, but it
> will be frustrating if this is your first one ever.

Just to be "old school", or maybe pedantic, I have to point out that you
don't actually need any initrd at all.  If you roll a custom kernel
with the needed drivers compiled in instead of modules then there is no
need for an initial ramdisk to load modules.

Certainly grub will work for this just fine, and I *think* lilo will work
as well (not sure about the lilo loader finding a kernel on an NTFS
partition).  And, of course, if your laptop has a floppy drive you could
actually put the kernel image on a floppy and just tell it where the root
filesystem is with rdev.  I guess that is actually deprecated in 2.6
kernels, but I wonder if it still works?

--
Bill Davidson
billdavidson at eastlink.ca

!DSPAM:45143c05126201572721354!