[nSLUG] lost user access in most distros

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed Sep 20 04:02:17 ADT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 23:56 -0400, rejean chamberland wrote:
> Hi Rich!
>

>         when I tried it in mandriva I got:
>
>         [jeanre at localhost ~]$ su
>         Password:
>         su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
>         [jeanre at localhost ~]$

Ok, I saw this long time ago, did a search on google to get a reminder.

Could be a few things:

1) run the 'groups' command to see what groups your id belongs to
       old versions used to use 'wheel' group for su access
       I think its no longer used.

2) check the permissions on the su command
       ls -l /bin/su*
   hopefully, the SUID bit is set
   if not then run "chmod u+s /bin/su"  as root
   should be something like:
       -rws--x--x  1 root bin 37655 2006-03-24 15:39 "/bin/su"

Was anything recently installed or upgraded on your system?

What happened with the temp userid ?

Regards,
Rich

!DSPAM:4510e771318911218180715!