[nSLUG] lost user access in most distros

rejean chamberland laudire2you at yahoo.ca
Wed Sep 20 00:56:52 ADT 2006

Hi Rich!

Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote: On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 19:29 -0400, rejean chamberland wrote:
> I hope someone can help me.
> I was in PCLinuxOS .93 junior a few nights ago and I downloaded the
> nvidia driver in PCLOS and copied it in most of the other distros. It
> was the wrong one so this morning I deleted them and downloaded the
> right one and copied them again. So far so good and this is all I
> tried except running Mandriva One live CD.
> Now when I go into Debian or Slackware ( I haven't tried Kubuntu or
> Mandriva) I get the following message:
> QUOTE
>
> There was an error setting up inter-process communication for KDE. The
> message returned by the system was;
> Could not read network connection list.
> /home/rejean/.DCOP server_debian_0.
> Please check dhcop server program is running.

if its not running, KDE should start up the service
sounds like permissions on the service may not be correct.

> If I click on OK I get the following:
> QUOTE
>
> Will not save configuration.
> Configuration file
> '/home/rejean/.kde/share/config/kwinkrc' not writeable.
>
> Configuration file
> '/home/rejean/.kde/share/kdeglobals' not writeable.
> Please contact your system administrator.
>

> If I click OK a little windows shows up near the top saying:
> QUOTE
>
> could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.

sounds like permission issue

> If I try to boot into SuSE, Zenwalk or Ubuntu I get something else but
> in the same vein:
> QUOTE
>
> Your $Home/.dmrc file has incorrect permissions and is being ignored.
> This prevent the default session and language from being saved.File
> should be owned by user and have 644 permissions.

I'd continue testing with the temp userid, if it all works fine.
Then check what changed
   did anyone edit the passwd or shadow file manually - user entries
should be synched.  When you login what enter id to see your userid and
group ids - they should match passwd, shadow, and the files in your dir
should have these values.

   The permissions for user and group - do you see numbers or your id
and users as the group?

In most distros the user is now 501 and the group is sometimes 500 or root. To be more specific I would have to go back in each distro.

> If I click on OK I get:
> QUOTE
>
> Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged
> out yourself this could mean that you may be out of diskspace. Try
> logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix the
> problem.
>

> As I said I haven't tried Mandriva or Kubuntu but so far only
> PCLinuxOS .93 junior and Fedora Core 5 work.
> Any clues?
>
> Someone replied to my cry of help and suggested that "
> boot and not log in as "user" but as "root" and delete all
> "home/rejean/.DCOPserver*" files and the .kde folder:

Yes follow these steps, if I remember correctly, .DCOPserver is just a
socket file.

> CODE
> # rm -rf home/rejean/.DCOPserver*
> # rm -rf /home/rejean/.kde
> and then reboot and log in as user. ( if really needed, and only if
> really needed, you can copy the .DCOPserver files
> from /root/.DCOPserver* to your /home/rejean and in this case do a
> chown -R . . . but first check ls -al on your /home/rejean to make
> sure you apply the correct user:group !!!! )

are you using a graphical login or text login screen?

> If that still does not work try to use the "adduser" command to create
> another ( temporary ) user . . . like "jeanre" . . . .and see if that
> one behaves "normal" . . . if it does use "userdel" to remove the
> "rejean" user ( check twice if also the /home/rejean is deleted ) and
> after a reboot "adduser" to recreate "rejean" again. If this action us
> successful you can delete ( with userdel ) the "jeanre" user.
> "
> which I tried also.

good. this is the next best check.
a new login will be clean - so you can see if your session is corrupt.
under the new login, does X start okay - any errors?

> Now when I open a terminal and try to 'su' I get:
> CODE
>
> [rejean at localhost ~]$ su
> Password:
> su: incorrect password
> [rejean at localhost ~]$ su
> Password:
> su: incorrect password
> [rejean at localhost ~]$ su
> Password:
> su: incorrect password
> [rejean at localhost ~]$ su
> Password:
> su: incorrect password
> [rejean at localhost ~]$ su
> Password:
> su: incorrect password
> [rejean at localhost ~]$

have you tried su'ing from the temp userid ?
whats the permissions in your /etc dir on  passwd and shadow

when I tried it in mandriva I got:

[jeanre at localhost ~]$ su
Password:
su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted
[jeanre at localhost ~]$

All new Yahoo! Mail

!DSPAM:4510bc07312149553615572!