[nSLUG] lost user access in most distros

rejean chamberland laudire2you at yahoo.ca
Tue Sep 19 20:29:07 ADT 2006

I hope someone can help me.
I was in PCLinuxOS .93 junior a few nights ago and I downloaded the nvidia driver in PCLOS and copied it in most of the other distros. It was the wrong one so this morning I deleted them and downloaded the right one and copied them again. So far so good and this is all I tried except running Mandriva One live CD.
Now when I go into Debian or Slackware ( I haven't tried Kubuntu or Mandriva) I get the following message:
QUOTE

There was an error setting up inter-process communication for KDE. The message returned by the system was;
Could not read network connection list.
/home/rejean/.DCOP server_debian_0.
Please check dhcop server program is running.

If I click on OK I get the following:
QUOTE

Will not save configuration.
Configuration file
'/home/rejean/.kde/share/config/kwinkrc' not writeable.

Configuration file
'/home/rejean/.kde/share/kdeglobals' not writeable.

If I click OK a little windows shows up near the top saying:
QUOTE

could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.

If I try to boot into SuSE, Zenwalk or Ubuntu I get something else but in the same vein:
QUOTE

Your $Home/.dmrc file has incorrect permissions and is being ignored. This prevent the default session and language from being saved.File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions.

If I click on OK I get:
QUOTE

Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself this could mean that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix the problem.

As I said I haven't tried Mandriva or Kubuntu but so far only PCLinuxOS .93 junior and Fedora Core 5 work.
Any clues?

Someone replied to my cry of help and suggested that "
 boot and not log in as "user" but as "root" and delete all "home/rejean/.DCOPserver*" files and the .kde folder: CODE
# rm -rf home/rejean/.DCOPserver*
# rm -rf /home/rejean/.kde
 and then reboot and log in as user. ( if really needed, and only if really needed, you can copy the .DCOPserver files from /root/.DCOPserver* to your /home/rejean and in this case do a chown -R . . . but first check ls -al on your /home/rejean to make sure you apply the correct user:group !!!! )

If that still does not work try to use the "adduser" command to create another ( temporary ) user . . . like "jeanre" . . . .and see if that one behaves "normal" . . . if it does use "userdel" to remove the "rejean" user ( check twice if also the /home/rejean is deleted ) and after a reboot "adduser" to recreate "rejean" again. If this action us successful you can delete ( with userdel ) the "jeanre" user.
"
which I tried also.
Now when I open a terminal and try to 'su' I get:
CODE

[rejean at localhost ~]$ su
Password:
su: incorrect password
[rejean at localhost ~]$ su
Password:
su: incorrect password
[rejean at localhost ~]$ su
Password:
su: incorrect password
[rejean at localhost ~]$ su
Password:
su: incorrect password
[rejean at localhost ~]$ su
Password:
su: incorrect password
[rejean at localhost ~]$

what gives? Am I gonna have the same problem in each distros? Wouldn't it be better to fix the problem that happened rather than just patching the leaks? I don't know, all I can say is that I am not touching the other distros yet.

!DSPAM:45107d47301671552515798!