[nSLUG] big problems with Ubuntu

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 20:40:45 ADT 2006

Hi,
I have not used it heavily, but so far, frequent kernel updates has been my
main gripe about Ubuntu.
A person can spend some time getting their hardware
supported and config'ed, and then some auto-update
wipes out everything because there was a kernel revision or micro revision
update.  As we can see in that report, kernel updates should not be taken
lightly.  However a sensible system would add the kernel, not replace it, in
your grub/lilo boot menu.  If this problem did happen, selecting the
previous kernel revision should get around it.

--Donald

On 9/18/06, Devin Horsman <horsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps this sheds some light?
>
> perhaps not?
>
> On 9/18/06, billdavidson at eastlink.ca <billdavidson at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca wrote:
> >
> > > In single user mode, issuing "modprobe eth0" returns:
> > >
> > > FATAL: Module eth0 not found
> >
> > This means that modprobe doesn't know that "eth0" is an alias to some
> > other module -- I don't know enough about the ubuntu boot environment to
> > speculate why not, but if you know what your ethernet adapter is you can
> > modprobe or insmod that driver.
> >

> > > I'd like to show you my log files but I couldn't mount a USB stick
> like I
> > > usually do:
> > >
> > > mount /dev/sda1/ /mnt/usbstick -t vfat
> > > error: mount: special device /dev/sda1/ does not exist
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > mount /media/sda1/ /mnt/usbstick -t vfat
> > > error: mount: /media/sda1/ is not a block device
> > >

> > I'm guessing that /dev/sd* don't exist and udev isn't running.  You can
> > create the needed device files in /dev like this:
> >
> > mknod -m 660 /dev/sda b 8 0
> > mknod -m 660 /dev/sda1 b 8 1
> >
> > etc...  You might also have to make sure the right kernel modules are
> > loaded...
> >
> > udev is really nice, but if it gets broken it can make things really
> > difficult.
> >

> > --
> > Bill Davidson
> > billdavidson at eastlink.ca