[nSLUG] big problems with Ubuntu

billdavidson at eastlink.ca billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Mon Sep 18 19:15:33 ADT 2006

Hi:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca wrote:

> In single user mode, issuing "modprobe eth0" returns:
>
> FATAL: Module eth0 not found

This means that modprobe doesn't know that "eth0" is an alias to some
other module -- I don't know enough about the ubuntu boot environment to
speculate why not, but if you know what your ethernet adapter is you can
modprobe or insmod that driver.

> I'd like to show you my log files but I couldn't mount a USB stick like I
> usually do:
>
> mount /dev/sda1/ /mnt/usbstick -t vfat
> error: mount: special device /dev/sda1/ does not exist
>
> and
>
> mount /media/sda1/ /mnt/usbstick -t vfat
> error: mount: /media/sda1/ is not a block device

I'm guessing that /dev/sd* don't exist and udev isn't running.  You can
create the needed device files in /dev like this:

mknod -m 660 /dev/sda b 8 0
mknod -m 660 /dev/sda1 b 8 1

etc...  You might also have to make sure the right kernel modules are
loaded...

udev is really nice, but if it gets broken it can make things really
difficult.

--
Bill Davidson
billdavidson at eastlink.ca