[nSLUG] big problems with Ubuntu

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Mon Sep 18 17:30:41 ADT 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 04:58:31PM -0300, ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca wrote:

> ?rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 59018 May 22 11:25 /sbin/udevplug

That udevplug is about twice the size of binary on my system. Are you
using a i386/i686 arch system or something else like AMD64?

I would be a little concered that there may be more filesystem
corruption.

> So there seems to be a bunch a files with screwed up permissions.

I think that if you can fix udev then everything will fall into place.

Isn't the Ubuntu install CD a live CD? You should be able to use that
to get you back online. Then you can try mounting your real system and
reinstalling udevplug.

I would be tempted to say that you have nothing to lose and could just
copy udevplug from the CD to your HD. Something like:

$ fsck /dev/YOUR-HD-ROOT
$ mount /dev/YOUR-HD-ROOT /mnt
$ install -m 755 -o root -g roo /sbin/udevplug /mnt/sbin/udevplug
$ umount /mnt

and reboot. You may need to use sudo for each of those
commands. (Please think about those commands before running. I am
having an off day.)

--
sg

!DSPAM:450f01f6237111123019728!