[nSLUG] big problems with Ubuntu

Daniel Ricard ricardd at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Sep 18 15:05:50 ADT 2006

Hello,

Until today, I was very happy with Ubuntu. However, I'm am now having
problems that are beyond my understanding and I don't want to have to do
another reinstall. I always seem to need 2 days to get everything back up
and configured correctly, so if I can avoid that, it would be great.

I used my system over the weekend without a problem. When I turned my
laptop on this morning, it would stay stuck near the end of the booting
sequence. I then rebooted in safe mode and logged in using my usual user.
After logging in, I got "/dev/null/ permission denied" messages in bash
and had to Ctrl-C to get a prompt.

It now seems that the permissions on just about everything in /dev/ are
wrong and I can't get xorg to go up, nor can I get eth0 to work. From what
I gather from ubuntu mailing lists and forums, a problem with udev might
be to blame. However, my system is completely up-to-date with
respect to upgrades and such. The problem now is that I can't connect to
the internet since eth0 is now working.

I am now at a stage where I do not know what to do to fix this. Again, I
would really really like to avoid a reinstall. Does anyone have
suggestions?
Cheers,

Dan

!DSPAM:450ee004225011889412773!