[nSLUG] Google Earth Linux 4.0 vs video card

billdavidson at eastlink.ca billdavidson at eastlink.ca
Tue Sep 12 10:36:12 ADT 2006

Hi:

If it says software rendering is active, then your X system is not loading
the DRM/DRI drivers for your card.  In an xterm type "glxinfo" and look
for "direct rendering" in the output.  If it says "No" then you aren't
requires kernel drivers as well as X drivers.

For example, with my ATI Radeon card, the kernel modules needed are
agp_gart (and via-agp since I have a VIA motherboard chipset), plus drm
and radeon.  The X system needs libglx, libGLcore, libdri, libdrm,
radeon_drv and ati_drv.  Telling Xorg to use the GLX stuff requires the
following in the "Modules" section of xorg.xonf":

         Load  "glx"
         Load  "dri"

Plus, in the "Device" section, the name of the device driver (in my case,
Driver "radeon").

One quirk I have found on my system is that while the kernel drivers are
loaded automatically when I start X, it seems like there is a timing
problem and direct rendering is disabled even though all the modules
loaded successfully.  But if I stop and restart X, or if I manually load
the kernel radeon driver before I start X, direct rendering is enabled.

Now, having said all that, I can't get Google Earth to work properly.
Direct hardware rendering is enabled, and the application doesn't complain
about anything, but the picture is garbled so as to be useless.  I could
try it with ATI's proprietary drivers, but I haven't yet.