[nSLUG] Debian 3.3 sarge

rejean chamberland laudire2you at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 11 11:01:17 ADT 2006

Hi Ben here is the url where I downloaded my bittorent iso images;
 http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r3/i386/bt-cd/

Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote: Gerard MacNeil wrote:
> He mentioned that he ran 'apt-get update' or some such thing.
>
> He then told his software (maybe GUI app like Synaptic) to get a new
> package to install. the fact it was a kernel package is irrelevant. The
> significant fact is that it was a package never before installed on his
> system. The combination, updating your repositories list and getting a
> new package, stimulates Synaptic to restart the install process.
>
> Either the updated package lists, or more likely, some packaging error
> that caused his problem was fixed.
I was with you right up to this point.  These errors do not seem to
indicate a packaging error:

Unpacking klaptopdaemon (from .../klaptopdaemon_3.3.2-1_i386.deb)...
dpkg:error processing
/cdrom/pool/main/k/kdeutils//klaptopdaemon_3.3.2-1_i386.deb) (--unpack);
     corrupted filesystem tarfile -corrupted package archive: Success
dpkg-deb:subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
     Errors where encountered while processing:
/cdrom/pool/main/k/kdeutils//klaptopdaemon_3.3.2-1_i386.deb
     E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

To me, that error message clearly says the package is corrupt, and
probably due to an incomplete file transfer.  That's why I was very
curious about how he obtained his iso.  If it's corrupt on a publicly
available iso image, other users will encounter the problem too.  It is
important to find out if the package is indeed corrupt on the CD, so
that the image can be pulled from the site.

Rejean, please give me the URL of the iso you were installing from so I
can check it myself.

Thanks,
Ben

 All new Yahoo! Mail -