[nSLUG] Debian 3.3 sarge

Gerard MacNeil aa030 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Sep 10 12:35:46 ADT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 11:47 -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> rejean chamberland wrote:
> > Yahoo!
> > I simply upgraded to 2.6.8-2-386 and most (maybe all
> > of my problems are solved)
> >

> Interesting.  I don't see how a kernel upgrade would fix the
> klaptopdaemon package.  Did you do something else to fix that?

He mentioned that he ran 'apt-get update' or some such thing.

He then told his software (maybe GUI app like Synaptic) to get a new
package to install. the fact it was a kernel package is irrelevant. The
significant fact is that it was a package never before installed on his
system. The combination, updating your repositories list and getting a
new package, stimulates Synaptic to restart the install process.

Either the updated package lists, or more likely, some packaging error
that caused his problem was fixed. Updated information (like, say, the
removal of klaptopdaemon from the Task) is read from the updated
Packages.gz file.

Frequently, installation problems magically disappear by updating your
repositories list a couple of days later.  Using Unstable, I run into
this kind of issue with regularity.

Gerard

!DSPAM:450430da279701856845026!