[nSLUG] Auto-replication of files to web server

Jason Kenney jdkenney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 00:43:37 ADT 2006

Hi,

On 10/19/06, Jeff Warnica <jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 20:55 -0300, Miles Thompson wrote:
>
> Option C here is not FTP, but rsync (+ssh); rsync will send only the
> changes of the given tree (possibly only changes to given files, as
> well?). rsync is available for Windows through Cygwin.

Yeah, rsync only sends the changes within a file, so it can be
extremely fast. Exactly how it knows it what is different without
being able to compare the two files directly is beyond me. The
technique was the subject of the author's PhD (at one time available
on his website), and years ago I started reading through to try to see
but I gave up. Some kind of magic involving localized hashes and
streams is the only answer I've had.

Jason

!DSPAM:45384771213841540714779!