[nSLUG] NIC problem: 3C905B fails to connect

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 21:29:44 AST 2006

When I lived in Northern Ontario I would spend that much time
trying to get a NIC card up, because the alternative was hunting
down an inexpensive NIC in the boonies.  But today I'd pick
up a $12 PCI card a little bigger than a baby spoon and
toss the other one away.

This problem reminds me of one I saw before in an ISA
3COM card handled by the same driver.  In that case, I
had to use 3COM's dos utilities diskette and explore the
I/O address and IRQ, and assign to the same in LILO
arguments.  I don't know if you can do the same for
a PCI part.

3COM's diagnostic diskette allows you to run a NIC
tester from the bootable diskette, and if there is a Windows
box around, you can run the other half of the
peer to peer test to see if the hardware is reliable.

Look at /usr/src/linux-2.6.18/Documentation/networking/3c509.txt
(or whatever kernel source and path works for you)
for more hints.  It discusses checking
full duplex, no received packets conditions
and interrupts problems.

But overall, I'd think it just isn't worth the effort.
There is a good chance a NIC this old is just
flakey.

--Donald