[nSLUG] NIC problem: 3C905B fails to connect

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Tue Nov 14 11:26:14 AST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Mike Spencer wrote:

> A 3Com 3C905B in an IBM NetVista PIII box with driver 3c59x.o
> INTERMITTENTLY fails to contact my router at boot. When the connection
> comes up, it works perfectly.  When it doesn't, nothing I can do will
> make it connect.  Nothing I've tried will cause it to reboot to a
> working connection.

Sounds like autonegotiation is going wonky somewhere. Try playing with
mii-tool to force it to a set speed (100 meg full duplex would be my
guess) and see if that helps. You might need to force it to only advertise
100 meg full duplex if that doesn't work and it's the router that's going
wonky (this is behaviour I've seen before in cheap'n'cheerful switches).
mii-diag might give some useful pointers, too.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:455a7ec5114051719813068!