[nSLUG] dump linux

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon May 29 20:02:25 ADT 2006

Most laptops are sold with restore CDs.  I'd simply do a
'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda ' on the disk
from KNOPPIX or some other CD environment, and then
provide those CDs to the buyer.  Otherwise, if you had
resized the Windows partition and added a Linux partition,
and if you had used lilo, then the command 'lilo -u'
for uninstalling lilo may restore the Windows Master Boot
Record.  If you used the entire drive for the linux purpose,
lilo -u is no help - you need to reinstall Windows.