[nSLUG] Book recommendation?

Jack Warkentin jwark at eastlink.ca
Mon May 29 12:22:45 ADT 2006

Hi Stephanie

On May 26, 2006 04:43 pm, Stephanie Mayfield wrote:

> I am primarily a Windows user, however I find myself in charge of a
> network which includes several varieties of unix (RH, CentOS).
> I'm thinking my pocket Unix for Dummies isn't going to enough to get
> me through until a replacement net admin is hired.  Can anyone
> recommend a decent book primarily centered around troubleshooting -
> something along the "hacks" or "cookbook" line of thinking.

There have been several good suggestions made already but I thought
Donald Teed's comment

> I don't think you can look to finding shortcuts in
> troubleshooting.  The best approach is to learn how
> Linux works, and then when unique situations arise,
> which they always will, you are equipped with knowledge
> and can design your own troubleshooting.

was most pertinent.

The book I have personally found to be the best overall Linux book is

Linux: Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition, by Paul Sheer, published
by Prentice Hall PTR, ISBN 0-13-033351-4. It is available from Half
Price Computer Books for $30 Canadian plus shipping at
http://www.halfpricecomputerbooks.ca/index.php

>From the Introduction:

"This book covers GNU/LINUX system administration, for popular
distributions like RedHat and Debian, as a tutorial for new users and
a reference for advanced administrators. It aims to give concise,
thorough explanations and practical examples of each aspect of a UNIX
system. Anyone who wants a comprehensive text on (what is
commercially called) ``LINUX'' need look no further--there is little
that is not covered here."

It contains a CD-ROM with the complete text that makes using it as a
reference very easy.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at eastlink.ca