[nSLUG] Slow DVD Burn

Gordon Jones gordonrjones at gmail.com
Tue May 23 20:27:37 ADT 2006

Stephen Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 01:10:56PM -0300, Jim Haliburton wrote:
>

>>  2)  Make sure the DVD is the last physical device on the cable and is
>> jumpered to master.
>>     3)  Make sure you are using an 80 conductor 40 pin IDE cable with the
>> DVD   burner.
>>

> These two recomendations are not required. A slave device on an old
> 40pin cable with two drives should still be able to push 20+ MB/sec.
>
> At any rate in this case the physical connection of the drives is
> obviously correct as Nero has no trouble. I would suspect the k3b
> configuration. I recommend a google search for the dvd burner model
> number and linux. i.e. google for  "gsa-4163 linux".

I decided to try it in a different computer and when i took it out it was almost too hot to touch,so it is in other com now and it is cool to the touch ,I hope this means that I need a new cable and not a motherboard or something expensive? It burnt at an average of 4.8 using k3b on an old 900 celeron with a gig of ram  ,and it didn't heat up,so I am going to try other cable later and hopefully it will fix my problem,will let you know,Thanks a lot everyone for your helps!

!DSPAM:44739c0366431499711646!