[nSLUG] Book recommendation?

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat May 27 08:22:14 ADT 2006

On 5/26/06, Stephanie Mayfield <stephanie.m.mayfield at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am primarily a Windows user, however I find myself in charge of a network
> which includes several varieties of unix (RH, CentOS).

CentOS is built from RH sources, so should be "bug-compatible" if you
have corresponding versions, but updates come from different
repositories.

> I'm thinking my pocket Unix for Dummies isn't going to enough to get me
> through until a replacement net admin is hired.  Can anyone recommend a
> decent book primarily centered around troubleshooting - something along the
> "hacks" or "cookbook" line of thinking.

I'd recommend getting serious overview of linux (e.g., Linux System
Administration by Nemeth et al) for insight into the differences in
underlying structure/philosophy between linux and Win32, then
"Self-Service Linux", by Wilding and Behman.  If you end up dealing
with R.H. engineers you will likely do much better if you take a "Bill
who?" attitude and follow Wilding and Behman's advice.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:447837f1206914699220009!