[nSLUG] smartctl -a

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Wed May 24 20:33:27 ADT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 11:46 -0300, Havea Notherpuff wrote:

> On 5/23/06, Donald Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Hi,
>
>         How do you measure "super slow"?  KB/sec transfer?  Time for
>         some operation?  Something else?  Details...
>
> I just burnt a data dvd of 5 divx movies each around 700mbs each and
> it took 25 minutes,i was using nero linux,the time before that I used
> K3B and the speed hardly ever went over 1x

My burn speed avgs around 12x, I think it takes around 10min for 4.5GB
720MB is done in around 2min.

I use the following:
growisofs -Z /dev/hda -dvd-video DVD/

(I use a secondary ATA133 controller for the hard drives)

You may need to add this to /etc/modules.conf

#enable dma for dvd drive
options ide-cd dma=1

If this doesn't help, I would look into buying a 2nd IDE controller,
ATA-100 and use the high density cables, put your DVD and CD on the new
controller, DVD on primary and CD on secondary.
CDROM slows your drives down because they do not support DMA, causes
master on the controller to drop down to slow speeds.

My system boot is hde because of motherboard controller dma issues a few
years ago. Now all has been resolved.
hda-d is on ide0
hde-h are on ide1
hdi is on ide2

Make sure your ide controller is compiled into the kernel.
I found DMA will not work correctly if loaded as a module.
(always stays at 33)
This took me a while to find out. I thought it was a bug in the module,
but its the way the kernel loads the ide modules.

>         hdparm on a old fashioned IDE drive will show whether DMA is
>         on.
> Here is the readouts for all my drives:
> hda=40gig
> hdb=dvd