[nSLUG] smartctl -a

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue May 23 09:48:42 ADT 2006

Hi,

How do you measure "super slow"?  KB/sec transfer?  Time for
some operation?  Something else?  Details...

hdparm on a old fashioned IDE drive will show whether DMA is on.

e.g.:
hdparm  /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 24321/255/63, sectors = 390721968, start = 0

Or if you meant the DVD burner, it will work for hdc or whatever as well.

man hdparm for more info.

--Donald

On 5/22/06, Havea Notherpuff <haveanotherpuff at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is after  reboot and -t short, the reason I ask about the drive is
> that my dvd burner will only burn at super slow speeds so I figure it might
> be hard -drive,but maybe the dma is not enabled on it,(how do i check that)?
> I am using mepis 6 beta 3 on a duron 1200 with gig of memory ddr,the burner
> is  a phillips(not sure about model).
>
> On 5/22/06, Donald Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The Smart Error log is a list of historical errors.
> > They might have nothing to do with the errors of the drive
> > but could be related with historical events on the system
> > like power blips, cables inserted badly, 12V cable snarfed
> > by the case enclosure causing a short, etc.
> >
> > The current status is shown as "passed" in your example
> > so there is no immediate reason for alarm.
> >
> > If you would like to test the drive in a running system
> > try the ' -t short ' option to smartctl and wait a few
> > minutes then run -a again and see the outcome.
> >
> > --Donald
> >
> > On 5/22/06, Havea Notherpuff <haveanotherpuff at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  Can anyone  tell me what the errors mean in the attached file,from
> > when i did a smartctl -a /dev/hda ?

> !DSPAM:44723c88299937857118536! !DSPAM:44723c8e300161303177463!

> !DSPAM:44723c8e300161303177463!

!DSPAM:447304ac41652794520113!