[nSLUG] Job posting in Dartmouth
stephanie.m.mayfield at gmail.com
Thu May 11 16:57:39 ADT 2006
*Computer Network Administrator - Programmer – Scotia Weather Services Inc.*
Scotia Weather Services Inc., a Nova Scotia based private meteorological
services company, is accepting applications for a full time Network
Administrator - Programmer.
Scotia Weather Services Inc. offers weather forecasting services,
environmental studies services, weather data services and other environment
information services to the following Canadian economic sectors:
- Land Transportation
- Marine Transportation
- Agriculture and Forest based Resources
- Wind and Solar Energy
- Public Utilities
- Recreation and Tourism
- Off-shore Oil/Gas Exploration/Production
The Network Administrator – Programmer will perform a variety of tasks in
support of the weather service production and communications system utilized
to provide the above services. Tasks to be performed include, but are not
limited to, management of an Oracle 10g data base system, programming of
applications, programming and managing an in-house web server, ensuring
network security and integrity, maintenance and programming of
communications system software, installation of hardware such as
workstation, firewalls, etc., preparation of instructions and procedures for
staff on use of equipment and applications software, training of new staff
on the use of network hardware and software, and more.
The basic education and other requirements for a Scotia Weather Services
Inc. Network Administrator – Programmer are:
1. Degree in Computer Science from a recognized University or college
with a Computer Science program of training or Certificate in Computer
Technology from a recognized Community College or CEGEP.
2. High proficiency in Red Hat Linux, Windows XP, MS Office
Professional suite, C, C++, Oracle PL-SQL, MySQL, Perl, Shell scripting,
SAMBA and XML.
3. Network setup, maintenance and troubleshooting experience.
4. Ability to configure and manage firewalls and manage general
5. High proficiency in the English language.
6. Capability to provide emergency service work on nights and
7. Possession of a valid driver's license and access to a vehicle for
8. Canadian citizen or Landed Immigrant.
9. Relates well to people.
10. No conviction for a criminal offense in Canada nor any other country
of the world.
Desirable education and other requirements are:
1. At least 3 years experience as an Analyst and/or Programmer
following graduation from a recognized university or Community College/CEGEP
computer science program.
2. Good proficiency in Windows 2000, Oracle 10g, Fortran, Java,
3. Communicates comfortably with peers.
4. A good working knowledge and proficiency in reading, writing and
5. Ability to share work activities, ideas, etc with colleagues with
Salary: Based on education and experience and negotiable.
Benefits: Basic Health Care and Disability Insurance, paid vacation based
on years of service.
Method for application: Resume with references and covering letter e-mailed
mamacleod@ <mamacleod at hfx.eastlink.ca>scotiaweather.com or mailed
to: Scotia Weather Services Inc.
192 Wyse Road, Suite 8
Dartmouth, N.S., B2X 3M5
Closing date for application: June 1, 2006.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the nSLUG