[nSLUG] (no subject)

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Tue Mar 14 22:57:10 AST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 18:04 -0400, Jeff Warnica wrote:
> The vmware stand-alone (ie, runs on bare metal) product costs many
> thousands of dollars. Im suggesting vmware as an alternative to either
> scrounging up spare hardware, or risking data loss on an existing
> system, at least through the testing phase. for trying out multiple
> distros, too
>
> If your talking about long-term / production dual-boot, then vmware is
> likely a viable alternative, too.
>
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 17:24 -0400, Bob Mullan wrote:
> > Don
> > I presume from your previous note that you are suggesting vmWare as a Stand
> > alone os rather than a dual boot.
> > Bob

I have to use Win98 for VPN.  (will have to update to XP soon :( )

I remember trying vmware a few years ago, then came across this gem.
win4lin is very stable, I use it daily for the past 1.5 years. I beat
the crap out of it (sometimes upto 15 putty screens, Exceed, Firefox,
Thunderbird, Acrobat, and Excel running). I never had windows run so
stable (after 300+ hours its starts to get a little flakey).

I increased the Default RAM, I have full access from Linux, you can drop
files in the Linux system, and see them in the virtual window.  It
handles memory usage very good, I compress, play movies, compile, write
DVDs, play Doom3 and Quake4, while win4lin is running - runs decent. I
only have 768MB of RAM, thought about getting 2GB some day soon.  For
the most part, Doom3 and Quake4 may see a sudden freeze when a lot of
polygons are on the screen, then its back to normal. This is caused by
Win98 sucking the cpu.

It doesn't have USB support, but it does have DirectX 8.0 and Virtual
NICs that allow network access.  It grabs a new IP, so remember to add
the virtual MAC to the NET Filter.

I bought version 5.x which was $89. It requires kernel patching though.

There new two versions:

win4lin 9x (Win95/98/ME)  $60
win4Lin Pro (Win2k/XP)    $80

These new versions do not require kernel patching.

Funny thing is, when it blue screens, and it will, just click X, and
double click the icon. :)  Its hilarious to see.  Thunderbird has gotten
a lot more stable, so its not locking up win98se any more.

With so many people into emoticons, hasn't anyone noticed the Windows
logo:
         Win XP (use it and die)

The website is  http://www.win4lin.com/

Hope this helps,