[nSLUG] In search of a lost interrupt

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 20:07:30 AST 2006

On 3/14/06, Rick Wightman <wightman at nb.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Last fall I wrote of woes with an FC4 install on a Netfinity 5500. I
> didn't resolve the problem before I got side-tracked to other
> pressing issues. The topics has returned now that I've acquired
> another that exhibits the same problem.
>
> Some digging through the various windows at install reveals that it
> loads the ips driver finds the ServeRAID card, all of the drives
> correctly as well as the processors. From there it reports:
>
> ide-cd cmd 0x28 timed out

I don't recall the original post.  Are you able to install FC4?  The
initial FC4
install was very fragile, but a fully updated system is less fragile,
although you can get into trouble with slow/dumb devices (e.g., USB1
disk and networking).  Some people had problems with the original FC4
iso's.  A fix was released in the form of an iso image for a  special
boot CD.  I don't know if the archives were uver updated.  I've
installed by copying the DVD to a disk image and then using the
bug-fix boot CD, followed immediately by a "yum update" using my local
copy of the updates-released repository.

Are you reading a DVD when this happens?

This looks like a problem with the chain: driver, drive and or media.
Google for "ide-cd cmd 0x28 timed out: -- lots of hits.  One reports
this error with a commercial DVD.  A replacement DVD gave the same
error.  The simple fix might be a new drive, but increasing the stack
size might also do the trick.

> hda DMA interrupt recovery
> hda lost interrupt.

Once the chain gets into trouble you are at risk of stack overflow or
bugs in rarely used portions of the driver code.

> So something causes the cd interrupt to be lost.
>
> I booted without acpi:
>
> boot: linux acpi=off
>
> and
>
> boot: linux noacpi
>
> without any success (same problem).
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts on how to remedy this.

If you still have problems with a fully updated FC4 install, try a
kernel with 16k stacks (linuxant has them for use with driveloader)
and/or swap hardware.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:44175ac8302415195917245!