[nSLUG] (no subject)

Bob Mullan mullan at ns.Sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 14 17:24:36 AST 2006

Don
I presume from your previous note that you are suggesting vmWare as a Stand
alone os rather than a dual boot.
Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Warnica [mailto:jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com]
Sent: March 13, 2006 1:34 PM
To: Nova Scotia Linux User Group
Subject: RE: [nSLUG] (no subject)

Its worth pointing out that there is a free (beta) version of VMWare
Server out now, as well as the VMWare "player". Laptop hardware is
perhaps especially difficult to deal with, virtualization should be
investigated.

The server version of vmware is now zero cost, but officially marked as
beta. That said, its based on a solid commercial product, so I wouldnt
be too concerned. The 'player' is zero cost, but limited to virtual
machines packaged by something else, but isn't a big deal Redhat,
Novell/SUSE have such things officially packaged as trial versions.
There are community built packages of Fedora Core, Debian, and others.

It always annoys me when courses, technical demos, magazine articles
focus on the installation phase. If you are a new user, nothing but the
defaults are going to mean anything to you, anyway. Focus on using the
system. The canned vmware player systems would seem to allow you to do
just that, at no risk to existing systems.

!DSPAM:441702b3288211808350080!