[nSLUG] (no subject)

Bob Mullan mullan at ns.Sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 14 17:17:00 AST 2006

Thanks Don

No need for a house call. Email is as good as telephone advice and just as
greatly appreciated.

Bob

   _____

From: Donald Teed [mailto:donald.teed at gmail.com]
Sent: March 14, 2006 12:11 AM
To: Nova Scotia Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [nSLUG] (no subject)

Hi Dr. Bob,

We have not met.  Captive-NTFS looks promising, but
since this is an early release of it, I'd put my trust
in Bart PE first.  I installed Xandros Linux on my wife's
computer - it is there if she wants to try it, but
so far not enough interest.  However I tested the
installation on another computer first.

When I first cut my teeth on Linux, I installed it on
a 386 with 4 MB of ram, while my "real computer"
was a cutting edge P166 running Win 95.
Only after I became familiar with Linux, boot
floppies and the like, did I go ahead and install
a dual boot configuration on my main machine.

If you really want to learn Linux, I suggest you
do what many of us geeks do: plunk down
a few bucks for older computer hardware so
you have a safe sandbox for learning by doing.

Bart PE is like running Win XP from a boot CDROM.
You'll be able to recover data or update files this way.

Sorry, I'm not available for house calls...

--Donald

On 3/13/06, Bob Mullan <HYPERLINK