[nSLUG] (no subject)

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 00:11:25 AST 2006

Hi Dr. Bob,

We have not met.  Captive-NTFS looks promising, but
since this is an early release of it, I'd put my trust
in Bart PE first.  I installed Xandros Linux on my wife's
computer - it is there if she wants to try it, but
so far not enough interest.  However I tested the
installation on another computer first.

When I first cut my teeth on Linux, I installed it on
a 386 with 4 MB of ram, while my "real computer"
was a cutting edge P166 running Win 95.
Only after I became familiar with Linux, boot
floppies and the like, did I go ahead and install
a dual boot configuration on my main machine.

If you really want to learn Linux, I suggest you
do what many of us geeks do: plunk down
a few bucks for older computer hardware so
you have a safe sandbox for learning by doing.

Bart PE is like running Win XP from a boot CDROM.
You'll be able to recover data or update files this way.

Sorry, I'm not available for house calls...

--Donald

On 3/13/06, Bob Mullan <mullan at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>  Donald
>
> I am the same Dr. Bob.
>

> About 15 years ago I got into Unix because I was trying to computerize my
> office. I spent literally hundreds of hours with it and gained only minimal
> proficiency. We eventually did implement  unix box server solution and have
> since migrated to Linux but all this has been done for us by our software
> provider. I have not worked the command line since.
>

> Recently I became interested in an open source EMR (electronic medical
> record) project. I decided to install debane so I could look at it. The
> result of this enterprise led me to where I am today (trying to do surgery
> to use your analogy). It's painful but it forces you to learn and especially
> to learn what you don't know. I mentioned in an earlier post that I crashed
> my wife's windows with an attempted grub install.
>

> After reinstalling windows and loosing some though thankfully not all of
> her data I was banished from the computer room. I decided that I would try
> to install on an IBM think pad. Like a good little dobee I used the IBM
> recovery program and backed everything up. I made a recovery disk and
> decided to try it to make sure it would boot before doing anything else. The
> system crashed when I booted from the disk! Is it any wonder that success at
> the poles eludes me!
>

> The system was an upgraded wXPpro and therefore on a ntfs partition. I can
> see it with KNoppix but the windows directory is nowhere in evidence.
>

> You can write to nfts with a program called Captive-nfts. It uses windows
> drivers that you have to download from SP1.  Previously write capabilities
> with Linux were absent or limited or risky at best.
>

> I have tried several available recovery programs based on Linux. I have
> read about Bart PE but have not tried it. I think it is DOS or Windows based
> is that right?
>

> I could simply wipe the disk and reinstall and try a dual boot. I have a
> couple of more laptops left to fry so I'm not stranded. But I think the
> exercise is helping me get back into the Linux world. Now if I could only
> get back into Linda's computer room! Maybe chocolates or flowers would help.
>

> Thanks for the help. Where do you live?
>

> Bob

!DSPAM:4416426e243341692516319!