[nSLUG] Re: X over GL

Michael Wheadon mikeat10500 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 20:27:22 AST 2006

Stephen
 Yes...there are much better live CD's for real
desktop use. This is more of a demo, no mplayer,
realplayer, etc and does not install. I know nothing
of the Distro itself...only interest was in XGL.
 As for Gnome...well I like KDE, ICEWM, FLUX, etc,
etc, anything but f****ing Gnome. I like XP and W98
more than Gnome....and I have tried to like it a
little for 2 years and just can not.
 My understanding of Gnome desktop concept is to hide
everything in the GUI like it's an Easter egg hunt.
 So I get command line practice when using
Gnome...which is a plus for a newbie like me.

 The F12 command was cool but you have to undo it to
move any apps. It locks them in place until you F12
again to put them back where the were. Still cool to
place and zoom everything at once.
 Did you notice the physics involved in dragging apps
around quickly....distort and rebound. If you did it
fast enough you could get the translucent browser to
shimmy like a bowl of jello.
  As far as XGL goes the demo shows how good it can
work and does not have to be used for eye candy only.
 This is only the beginning(I hope).
 I think in the right hands it could upgrade the linux
 desktop for the next generation of old hardware.

                             .later mike

--- Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 01:13:55PM -0800, Michael
> Wheadon wrote:
>
> >  I have been playing with KororaA live CD all day
> that
> > features XGL server. The eye candy is great; but
> the
> > speed of it is unreal! Fast and very cool.
>
> Be sure to read the keyboard shortcuts text file
> that is on the gnome
> desktop. And F12 (undocumented) does an expose like
> feature.
>
> While the eye candy is cute I think that it would
> become very annoying
> if you were trying to get real work done. I am also
> annoyed by the
> increased user hostility in Gnome v2.12.
>

> >  I have the ISO for those without high speed.
>
> For those with high speed the torrent is fast
>

> http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-details.php?id=1604
>

> additional hardware requirements can be found at:
> http://getkororaa.com/
>

> --
> sg

Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.