[nSLUG] (no subject)

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 01:06:36 AST 2006

Hi,

Are you Dr. Bob?  The federal P.C. Candidate in Kings-Hants?

Linux does some amazing things beyond retreiving data
from broken Windows boxes.

The last time I checked, writing to NTFS in Linux
was only possible with the exact same size file
overwriting the existing file.  This is rarely going to
be the case.

I believe those wishing to become surgeons have to
practise as a GP for awhile before they work as
a surgeon.  Its kinda like that with computer techie
stuff.  If you start out using Linux for critical tasks,
rather than getting to know it first as a normal OS
which has some nice tools on board, you can
expect to see some deaths.  I don't know for certain
if that was how you came to see Linux as being
useful, but based on what you've said, it sounded possible.

My recommendation is that you seek out a tool
(on the Internet) known as Bart PE.  It is the
rescue disk that Microsoft could have made but didn't.
I'm not going to expand on that as it is off topic for our group.

I hope this helps.

--Donald

On 3/12/06, Bob Mullan <mullan at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>  I'm new to Linux and glad to find a LUG in N.S. Is there anyone in the
> Kentville area that might be willing to help a struggling beginner? I fried
> my wifes windows trying to do a dual boot install of Debane. Now I'm
> experimenting with Knoppix, trying to repair an XP pro installation that
> blew up on an IBM lap top (nothing to do with Linux install in this case).
>

> I need to write to NTFS so I downloaded the files from SP1 for
> Captive-ntfs. Although I can make the volume appear writable in Knoppix
> (with settings resident on a USB key drive) I cannot actually write anything
> to it. I think I must be mounting the drive incorrectly.
>

> Does this group ever have install clinics or other user meetings?
>

> Bob
>

> --
>

> !DSPAM:4414d351181564826160946!

!DSPAM:4414fdde188765526914969!