[nSLUG] RAID on USB flash disks

Donald Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 00:41:39 AST 2006

On 3/12/06, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 06:04:46PM -0400, Donald Teed wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps it could be a secure way to transport data - give
> > the data to 3 agents with a RAID 5 configuration, send them
> > on different flights, etc.
>
> It don't think this would be secure. I believe getting one of the
> three keys would give you half the data.

OK, at least one person took the idea as a serious one.
That wasn't the intention.  It was just a concept
that popped into my tired brain a day after a sleepless
red eye flight from Vancouver.

It seemed outlandish,  and I wondered if a person
who found one of the USB keys would figure out
what it was.  I mean, over 1/2 of the population would
just figure it wasn't formated if they put it into a Windows
box and nothing was visible.

I guess I was thinking of something like
"top secret plans", ala James Bond, where if you didn't
have all of the formula you didn't have the whole secret.

This is not a real security proposal.  All of those who
were about to suggest something real or quote some
RFCs can relax.

--Donald

!DSPAM:4414f804187171661437451!