[nSLUG] RAID on USB flash disks

Jeff Warnica jeff at coherentnetworksolutions.com
Sun Mar 12 23:20:15 AST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 18:04 -0400, Donald Teed wrote:
> Looking at my inbox subject lines I  thought of a weird idea.
> Has anyone tried setting up RAID on a set of USB key
> flash disks? I don't know why one would, but often if something
> is possible, then someone has tried it...

Well, not quite the same thing. But someone did RAID on imac USB
floppys ...

http://www.tuaw.com/2006/01/23/floppy-disk-striped-raid-on-a-bondi-blue-imac/

> Perhaps it could be a secure way to transport data - give
> the data to 3 agents with a RAID 5 configuration, send them
> on different flights, etc.

To correct someone else, in a RAID 5, 3 disk configuration, nabbing one
agent would get half the data.

Might be a way to ship around one time pads. Dependent, I suppose, on
the number of unemployed suckers (that is, of zero value) you can find
in Maryland.

!DSPAM:4414e40b183401419616836!