[nSLUG] Re: Debian stable vs. testing

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 09:28:27 AST 2006

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking time to extol the virtues of another command line
email option. You know, the best thing about having broken X-windows
is that it forced me to admit my Linux-Learning-Laziness. Whatever the
oss equivalent to a couch potato is, that's me, what I've become.

But the upside really cool thing is that my wife has been using the
Linux box, having needed only to learn commands you can count on the
fingers of one hand. Before that she's only ever used Macs at home and
at work.

On 3/12/06, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Know zip about deb, can't help there.  But on the ancillary problem,
>
> > What I really need to learn is an email program and how to dump
> > command output into messages so I can work from the console/command
> > line. I'm laboriously typing everything from Linux screen on one box
> > to Gmail/Windows on another.
>
> At the risk of sounding like a Gnu evangelist...
>
> Assuming you have the Linux box working and the console(s) available,
> consider using Gnu Emacs.  It will allow you to compose mail, then
> send it.  You can simultaneously run an interactive shell [1] in an
> Emacs buffer.  All the output from a command remains in the buffer and
> can be edited or copied to another Emacs buffer (e.g. to an Emacs mail
> buffer containing a message that you're composing and will send using
> Emacs' built-in mail routine) with a few keystrokes.
>
> A big (huge?) advantage to Emacs is that the interactive shell buffer
> keeps all the output from commands until you delete it, just as if it
> were a text document that you were editing.  You can scroll back in
> output to any point you like.  With the bare console, OTOH, you have
> to pipe output to more/less, to tee and some file, or use some other
> bothersome subterfuge to scrutinize lengthy output such as that from
> startx or ps -e.  I find this a major win if I'm tweaking something
> that doesn't work over and over, comparing the resulting
> hen-tracks/error-messages, even with X up and using Emacs in an xterm.
> In the console its indispensable.

This is persuasive. I've got a few longish text files I'd like to
email to my Gmail which I use as a kind of virtual drive. So I take it
I can just open them in Emacs and email straight away?

> [1] The only disadvantage [2] is that the TERM that runs in the Emacs
> interactive shell buffer is "dumb". So less, more, top or anything
> that depends on termcap/terminfo to manage a smart terminal display
> won't work right.  A bearable loss in exchange for having massive
> command output available in a scrollable, editable buffer.
>
> [2] Aside, of course, from having to learn Emacs keystrokes. :-)

Now, Emacs is NOT the same animal as emacs, no?

> > ...Hagen-Daas ice cream with hot butterscotch sauce.
>
> Make your basic chocolate sauce -- bitter chocolate and milk melted
> together till smooth, add some sugar, heat till smooth.  Then stir in
> caramel -- sugar melted and browned in a heavy frying pan.  Caramel
> Fudge Sauce.  Killer app.  (Caramelized sugar, BTW, is far superior to
> boiling hot coffee for producing serious trauma, should you pour it on
> sensitive -- or any -- parts of your anatomy, your cat or your
> kids. Don't do that.)

I think I could handle this recipe. Yes. Thanks for adding the safety
tips. A good idea given the high probability of sugar-rush-shakes from
all those thousands of supersweet carbs.

Thanks again for Emacs suggestion.

Bob