[nSLUG] Debian stable vs. testing

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sat Mar 11 19:19:40 AST 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 05:23:29PM -0400, Robert Ashley wrote:

> This interests me because back in May 2005 when I was asking around
> here at nslug about a good first distro for a newbie, support seemed
> 1) to converge on Debian.
> 2) without guarded reservation about sarge-testing.

Back then it made a lot of sense. Woody/stable was old, and Sarge was
about to be released. The disadvantages of Testing were there, but the
advantages made up for it. People, myself included, were running Sarge
Testing on production workstations. I was using Sarge like that from
the summer of 2004. It was risky (crazy even), but I was having a hard
time with Woody even with the wonderfull backports.org. Also most of
the major upgrades for Sarge had been complete by mid 2004. Upgrades
to Etch are ongoing.

The purpose of my email was to persuade long time Debian users, like
me, that we should reconsider running Testing. We should deffinately
not recommend Debian/Testing to new users.

--
sg

!DSPAM:44135b0e121513288756491!