[nSLUG] Debian stable vs. testing

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Mar 11 18:07:34 AST 2006

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Robert Ashley wrote:

> On 3/11/06, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> I followed the advice and I never had a single problem with
> sarge-testing...nada.
>
> Is that because sarge at that time was near to being fully mature? It
> was only a few months before sarge became stable. That's what I'm
> getting from your text below, I think.

Most probably, yes. Switching from stable to testing (or from old version
of stable to new version of stable) always has its hiccups. Once you get
the hang of things you can cope with the hiccups, but the only way to
learn how to get around the hiccups is to figure out how to get around the
hiccups (if that makes sense). Learn by doing, basically.

> I deliberately held back on upgrading because I got the impression
> that lots of people were having quirky troubles with etch.

Har. I have sid on my workstation at home with around 25 extra
repositories. That brings a whole new dimension of quirkiness, especially
when one repository decides to (say) upgrade glibc and all the packages in
its repository, while all the other repositories are sticking with the
standard sid glibc.You soon learn the value of pegging crucial system
libraries then...

> Your critique has got me thinking. I could certainly venture the next
> step going to Debian/Unstable. Might be fun. On the other hand, I have
> no need for anything bleeding edge.

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you really want to be in interesting
times. Stuff usually works, but when it doesn't...

> What I really need to learn is an email program and how to dump
> command output into messages so I can work from the console/command
> line. I'm laboriously typing everything from Linux screen on one box
> to Gmail/Windows on another.

Try mutt and screen (I use pine and screen, but you have to compile screen
from source due to license limitations). Use ctrl-a [ as the copy command
in screen, enter starts copying, cursor keys to select copied selection,
enter to end copied selection, and ctrl-a ] to paste. See
http://jmcpherson.org/screen.html for an intro to screen.

In X, you should also be able to highlight with left mouse and paste with
middle mouse (or left and right mouseclick simultaneously, if you don't
have a middle mouse button but selected the right options in the X
config).

> I'd say that makes me more broken than anything in Debian!

I'd say Debian isn't the best distribution to use. It's just the least
worst.

> Any suggestion?

Propellor Porter is good drink at this time of year, and will probably
help reduce the stress of your problems. You've still got time to head
down to the liquor store and pick some up.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:44134a2a118179619162045!