[nSLUG] Debian stable vs. testing

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 16:11:20 AST 2006

On 3/11/06, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca> wrote:
> In the past month or some a couple members of the list have had
> problems with Debian/Testing (aka Etch). In Early February Richard
> attempted a ungrade on a Sun and recently Bob has run into
> difficulties. Debian/testing has several disadvantages and few
> advantages. Testing should not be used.
> [...]

Good points.  Testing is for people running a whack of servers who
have the resources to dedicate a test system to working out bugs and
checking for performance issues so their mission critical apps will be
ready for the next stable version.

If you think unstable is for you, Knoppix will give you a quick
"postview". I think Knoppix is based on a snapshot of unstable with
custom init scripts and hotplugging (e.g., no devfs or udev).  If you
have Knoppix working it can get you out of a jam when something
breaks.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:44132ee9111547513619934!