[nSLUG] Upgrade Testing - Now no X Windows

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Sat Mar 11 14:39:02 AST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 12:47 -0400, Robert Ashley wrote:
> On 3/11/06, Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 09:17 -0400, Robert Ashley wrote:
> > > Thanks for the tip, crackers. Unfortunately I didn't get an X-Window.
> > >

> > xorg and xfree86 had pretty much the same configs
> >

> > Section "ServerLayout"
> >         Identifier     "XFree86 Configured" [Default Layout]
> >         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0 [Default Screen]
> >         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer" [Configured Mouse]
> >         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard" [Generic Keyboard]
> > EndSection
>
> For comparison I put my output in brackets beside yours.
>
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier  "Mouse0"  [Configured Mouse]
> >         Driver      "mouse" [mouse]
> >         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2" [CorePointer]
> >         Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse" [/dev/psaux]
> >         Option      "Emulate3Buttons"       "no" [true]
> >         Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5" [4 5]
> > EndSection

I found an old XF86 config I had saved:

I think the problem is your Drive option in the "Configured Mouse"
section.   CorePointer is not a valid protocol.  Change it to IMPS/2
that pretty much works with a lot of mice. If
Also, disable the Emulate3buttons, that might be causing the mouse to
freak out.  How many buttons on the mouse?   If you don't have a mouse
wheel, comment out the zaxis line.

Zaxis is for the mouse wheel enable (buttons 4 and 5).

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection

> But I have also an additional mouse section

This section shouldn't kick unless it is defined in the server section

> Section "Input Device"
> Identifier   "Generic Mouse"
> Driver       "mouse"
> Option      "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
> Option      "Device"                   "/dev/input/mice"
> Option      "Protocol"                 "ImPS/2"
> Option      "Emulate3Buttons      "true"
> Option      "XAxisMapping           "4 5"
>
> EndSection

see if "Generic Mouse" is called in any other section

What version of XFree is this?  3 or 4 ?
Have you tried running the default config creator?
	XFree86 -configure  should generate a new config for you in root

If this is version 3, may have to do some different steps.

Rich

!DSPAM:44131948108406718046416!