[nSLUG] Upgrade Testing - Now no X Windows

gnwiii at gmail.com gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 13:39:44 AST 2006

On 3/11/06, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Robert Ashley wrote:
> > xfree86-common: Depends x11common but it is not going to be installed
> > E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> > specify a solution)
>
> apt is telling you something is squiffy here. Run "apt-get -f install"
> like it tells you and see if it works, you might have to do the "apt-get
> install --reinstall xserver-xfree86" again once you're done.

The current aptitude (text mode menu-driven front-end for apt-get) has
a nice feature where it offers a number of ways to resolve conflicts
-- you can scan thru the alternatives and choose the one that make
sense.

> > Should I try install wdm or xdm? No love lost between me and Gnome.
>
> Well, I'd say get rid of as many error messages as possible before
> changing to wdm or xdm. It sounds like the problem is in the X server
> itself - specifically, it seems like you don't have one, which would
> explain why it's having problems starting ;->
>
> Now that I think about it, I think (and my memory is getting a bit hazy
> here) that woody had video card specific X servers, and sarge has one X
> server that handles all video cards. Get xserver-xfree86 installed without
> errors and I suspect you may be back up and running.

When did debian switch to xorg's X11?  I think xorg forked around the
time single X servers came out.  Knoppix was using xorg last summer.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia

!DSPAM:44130d0f103461673134726!