[nSLUG] Upgrade Testing - Now no X Windows

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Mar 11 12:54:46 AST 2006

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Robert Ashley wrote:

> Dop wrote:
>> Yup. Try reinstalling the xserver-xfree86 package and see if that fixes
>
> Tried. No work.
>
> Still
> bob at deb: ~$ ls -l /usr/bin/X11/XFree86
> No such file or directory.
>
> Noticed at the end of
>
> # apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xfree86
> xfree86-common: Depends x11common but it is not going to be installed
> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
> specify a solution)

apt is telling you something is squiffy here. Run "apt-get -f install"
like it tells you and see if it works, you might have to do the "apt-get
install --reinstall xserver-xfree86" again once you're done.

> Should I try install wdm or xdm? No love lost between me and Gnome.

Well, I'd say get rid of as many error messages as possible before
changing to wdm or xdm. It sounds like the problem is in the X server
itself - specifically, it seems like you don't have one, which would
explain why it's having problems starting ;->

Now that I think about it, I think (and my memory is getting a bit hazy
here) that woody had video card specific X servers, and sarge has one X
server that handles all video cards. Get xserver-xfree86 installed without
errors and I suspect you may be back up and running.

> Actually, I like Blackbox. Can I launch them (wdm or xdm) from the
> console? After install will they be placed in the same directory as
> gdm? /etc/X11 ?

Yes, you can start them from the console, but it's a bit redundant -
you'll have to log into the console as root, start wdm/xdm/gdm, then log
in again through the *dm. If you're logging in from the console as a
regular user, just run startx to start X.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:441300dc101041195415146!