[nSLUG] Upgrade Testing - Now no X Windows

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 12:47:12 AST 2006

On 3/11/06, Rich <budman85 at eastlink.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 09:17 -0400, Robert Ashley wrote:
> > Thanks for the tip, crackers. Unfortunately I didn't get an X-Window.
> >
> > Scouting around, I tried several other fixes.
> >

> > # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> >
> > [nope...after slapping through umpteen defaults]
> >
> > # grep EE /var/log/XFree86.0.log
> > (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
> > (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
> > (EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
> > (EE) PreInit: failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
> >
> > [hmmm....no help here] And the mouse appears to work via...
> > # cat /dev/input/mice
> > <wiggle the mouse> [works, moving mouse renders random characters]
> >

> What does your input pointer section look like?
>
> What type of mouse?  PS/2, serial, usb ?
>
> xorg and xfree86 had pretty much the same configs
>

> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier     "XFree86 Configured" [Default Layout]
>         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0 [Default Screen]
>         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer" [Configured Mouse]
>         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard" [Generic Keyboard]
> EndSection

For comparison I put my output in brackets beside yours.

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"  [Configured Mouse]
>         Driver      "mouse" [mouse]
>         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2" [CorePointer]
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse" [/dev/psaux]
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons"       "no" [true]
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5" [4 5]
> EndSection

But I have also an additional mouse section

Section "Input Device"
Identifier   "Generic Mouse"
Driver       "mouse"
Option      "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
Option      "Device"                   "/dev/input/mice"
Option      "Protocol"                 "ImPS/2"
Option      "Emulate3Buttons      "true"
Option      "XAxisMapping           "4 5"

EndSection

> Do the identifier and inputDevice name match?
>
> what is /dev/input/mice set to?
>
> I use a ps/2 mouse so it uses psaux
> "mouse" -> "psaux"
> "psaux" -> "misc/psaux"
> crw-rw----  1 root root 10, 1 2006-02-21 06:49 "psaux"
>

> isnt the /dev/input/mice for the old mouse cards?

I don't know.

Bob