[nSLUG] Upgrade Testing - Now no X Windows

Rich budman85 at eastlink.ca
Sat Mar 11 12:18:45 AST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 09:17 -0400, Robert Ashley wrote:
> Thanks for the tip, crackers. Unfortunately I didn't get an X-Window.
>
> Scouting around, I tried several other fixes.
>

> # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> [nope...after slapping through umpteen defaults]
>
> # grep EE /var/log/XFree86.0.log
> (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
> (EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
> (EE) PreInit: failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
>
> [hmmm....no help here] And the mouse appears to work via...
> # cat /dev/input/mice
> <wiggle the mouse> [works, moving mouse renders random characters]

What does your input pointer section look like?

What type of mouse?  PS/2, serial, usb ?

xorg and xfree86 had pretty much the same configs

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons"       "no"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection

Do the identifier and inputDevice name match?

what is /dev/input/mice set to?

I use a ps/2 mouse so it uses psaux
"mouse" -> "psaux"
"psaux" -> "misc/psaux"
crw-rw----  1 root root 10, 1 2006-02-21 06:49 "psaux"

isnt the /dev/input/mice for the old mouse cards?

!DSPAM:4412f86797739100310016!