[nSLUG] Upgrade Testing - Now no X Windows

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 10:14:23 AST 2006

Hi Dop, thanks for putting your oar in the water.

Dop wrote:
> Stop gdm, then make sure that the server it thinks is there is actually
> there:
>
> dop at lap1:~$ ls -l /etc/X11/X
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Dec 31 12:49 /etc/X11/X -> /usr/bin/X11/Xorg

bob at debian:~$ ls -l /etc/X11/X
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2005-04-30 14:39 /etc/X11/X ->
/usr/bin/X11/XFree86

> dop at lap1:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/X11/Xorg
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1878044 Jan 14 21:40 /usr/bin/X11/Xorg

bob at debian:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/X11/XFree86
No such file or directory

So, by what you're saying below, it looks like it "says" it's pointing
to something, but really it ain't?

I'll stop here first before moving ahead to your extended fix.

Bob