[nSLUG] Upgrade Testing - Now no X Windows

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Mar 11 09:54:20 AST 2006

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Robert Ashley wrote:

[snip]
> "I will disable this X server for now. Restart GDM when it is
> configured properly."
[snip]
> So, everything was working fine on my pre-updated system. Now now X-windows.
>
> Any diagnostic hints from the nslug gallery?

Stop gdm, then make sure that the server it thinks is there is actually
there:

dop at lap1:~$ ls -l /etc/X11/X
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Dec 31 12:49 /etc/X11/X -> /usr/bin/X11/Xorg
dop at lap1:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/X11/Xorg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1878044 Jan 14 21:40 /usr/bin/X11/Xorg
dop at lap1:~$

In this case, I'm using X.org instead of XFree86, but the symlink should
still point to something. If it doesn't, your X install has gone awry and
you might want to try reinstalling your X server (apt-get install
--reinstall xserver-xfree86 - check the package name, though).

If the symlink *does* point to something that looks valid, stop gdm with
/etc/init.d/gdm stop then log in on the console as your regular user and
run startx and see if it works or not. If it doesn't, you'll get an error
message - quite possibly buried in amongst a spew of informative messages,
so you might want to redirect output off to a temp file (eg, startx >
/tmp/startx.out 2>&1) and read through it after. If it seems to be a
permissions error, try logging in as root and see if startx works then -
that should confirm if it's permissions or not.

If startx works but gdm doesn't, then perhaps try installing xdm or wdm -
I've had problems in the past with gdm not starting that I've been too
lazy to fix and simply installed wdm instead.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:4412d69289657606315103!