[nSLUG] Upgrade Testing - Now no X Windows

Robert Ashley rb.ashley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 09:17:48 AST 2006

Thanks for the tip, crackers. Unfortunately I didn't get an X-Window.

Scouting around, I tried several other fixes.

# gdm
gdm already running. Aborting!

[nope]

# /etc/init.d/gdm start
Starting GNOME Display Manager: gdm already running.

[okay, so I go to what I think is the graphical desktop...

Crtl + Alt + F7

Blue Screen with dialogue box saying...

"I will disable this X server for now. Restart GDM when it is
configured properly."

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

[nope...after slapping through umpteen defaults]

# grep EE /var/log/XFree86.0.log
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit: failed for input device "Generic Mouse"

[hmmm....no help here] And the mouse appears to work via...
# cat /dev/input/mice
<wiggle the mouse> [works, moving mouse renders random characters]

$ lspci
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage
IIC AGP (rev 7a)

So, everything was working fine on my pre-updated system. Now now X-windows.

Any diagnostic hints from the nslug gallery?

Thanks

Bob