[nSLUG] SCSI novice, hardware qry

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Mar 8 03:51:28 AST 2006

Sliding wayy down the scale from the ongoing discussion of good
commercial server strategy...

I'm having trouble getting a SCSI scanner to work: I can't seem to
talk to the SCSI card(s).

Are there any well known, possibly non-obvious gotchas that I might be
missing?  Details follow if you're kind enough to read on.

   Linux 2.4.29 kernel

   AHA 1520A and AHA 1540B/42B SCSI cards (not installed simultaneously)

   Have corresponding drivers (aha152x.o and aha1542.o)

   PII and P133 CPUs -- same vintage more or less as the SCSI cards.

   Microtek ScanMaker II-XE and (ca. 24") SCSI cable, attached and
   turned on at boot, scanner channel selector set.

   Have the PDF manuals for the cards, have the jumpers set to specs
   (insofar as I understand them).

   Have tried both cards in various slots of one machine (PII) and one
   card in the only usable slot of another (P133).  Results vary:
   Driver module won't load, module loads but can't find a channel to
   talk to the card etc.  At boot, the BIOS reports trying to contact
   the SCSI card and failing.  Both machines work fine otherwise.

Should I just give up on these old cards and get a new one?  Or is a
SCSI scanner, SANE support notwithstanding, a bad deal?  Clever
hardware check or hack I never heard of?

I've had such good luck hitherto with old hardware that I just can't
believe that I can't make this work.  :-)

I don't have detailed error messages logged but could get them.

Grateful for any advice,
- Mike

                                                           /V\

!DSPAM:440e8b88164959635733976!