[nSLUG] overview DB and inn

Bill Davidson bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca
Tue Mar 7 10:30:30 AST 2006

Hi:

No, I'm not an INN guru, but I never let that stop me...

As you pointed out, the docs say:

> The ovdb database will take up more disk space for a given
> spool than the other overview methods.  Plan on needing at
> least 1.1 KB for every article in your spool (not counting
> crossposts).  So, if you have 5 million articles, you'll
> need at least 5.5 GB of disk space for ovdb.  With
> BerkeleyDB 2.x, the db files are 'grow only'; the library
> will not shrink them, even if data is removed.  So,
> reserving extra space above the estimate is a good idea.

So, my questions are:

1) What are these "other methods" of which you speak, and do they also
grow without limit or can they be pruned?

2)  What if ovdb is built with BerkeleyDB > 2, like libdb3 or 4?  Does
that fix that issue?  Can you re-compile and link against a more recent
version of libdb?

As has already been pointed out, throwing disk space at an application
whose disk usage grows monotonically only delays the inevitable.

--
Bill Davidson
bdavidso at supercity.ns.ca

!DSPAM:440d999c127911097727336!