[nSLUG] overview DB and inn

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Tue Mar 7 01:52:04 AST 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Scott Walker wrote:

> Couldn't have said it better myself. Why bother wasting time
> researching. By reading your post, and the little blurb about OVDB and
> it's storage requirements. IF 8G is Causing you grief. Spend $60 and
> pick up a 80G And Save yourself years of grief. Take $120, buy to 80's
> and raid them. I'm assuming because it's a NNTP server you have your
> spool on it's own disk, so breaking it off spending 10-15 mins swaping a
> drive, partitioning a disk, and moving the old data back. Should be a
> rather trivial task.

Where can you find industrial grade drives for $60? All I can find for
that price are cheap, consumer grade IDE drives. 72 gig 10KRPM U320 hot
swap HP drives are currently going for (if you search hard enough) around
CDN$300. Since Donald is in academia, I would hazard a guess that he's
using Sun gear. Third party 72 gig 10KRPM U320 drives (non hot-swap) are
going for around $240. If an external enclosure is required, then a
rackmount enclosure will start at around $4000 (last time I looked,
anyway).

Not picking on you personally, Scott, but this attitude I see of "just add
more hard drives because it's cheap, look how cheap they are on Robotnik's
page" gets a touch irritating. I have several SCSI drives running 24x7
that are over 10 years old. I don't think any of my IDE drives are more
than 4 years old, they usually die long before that - especially if you
put any sort of load on them (and NNTP servers are notorious for the
amount of load they can put on a storage subsystem). There's a marked
difference between consumer grade hardware and industrial grade hardware,
and the price tag generally reflects that. Any savings you make going with
IDE are usually lost the first time you have an extended outage while you
replace a drive and wait for the RAID array to resync, in my experience.

Cheers... Dop.

!DSPAM:440d1f92114541841218130!