[nSLUG] raid performance (update)

Rory rory at unixism.org
Sat Jun 24 20:50:09 ADT 2006

Thanks to all that replied here or directly to me.

It looks like we found the problem and it has nothing to do with md,scsi
or megaraid.   It's a known bug in 2.6.x libc + reiserfs that causes
reiser to use a 128k read-ahead regardless of the underlying read-ahead
config.  The problem exhibits in fseek() specifically and can be avoided
by ditching ansi fseek() in favour of pread() or using nolargeio=1 when
mounting reiser.

This email thread covers the issue:
http://www.ecos.sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2006-03/msg00157.html

For our case we'll start with the mount option and then likely re-write
code later.